Because the client requested pink and purple tesserae in this name mosaic, I chose brown for the ceramic letters. My initial instinct was a single border, of metallic vitreous, in pink/purple hues. However, I think I will play with more border options. Absolutely, I want pink surrounding her name. Presently, I have my eye on some hues of purple stained glass and there are some lovely pink glitter glass tiles. We’ll see… Color, color, color!
The outline has been completed in black stained glass. As stated in a previous post, it’s important that you have a good amount of glue on the outline. In this case, there is excess glue after laying down the tesserae. You see gold Van Gogh for the interior of the dragon, and red for some of the background. Because red, gold and black are bold colors, I am considering a rich blue either as part of a double border, or in the background in some capacity.
Quite often, I will have an idea and then change it several times. Originally, I had planned a larger version of this dragon, using some less expensive tesserae. As stated in a previous post, making a larger more intricate design is much easier than a smaller version. Working with glass is a difficult medium in that glass is not always cooperative… I have changed the design from a large rectangle to a smaller square. That meant a few design changes for the dragon.
One of the ways I try to save money is using leftover wood in the studio. However, in this case, that would not have been the wisest decision. The rectangular pieces of wood I had left were very large, and that would mean a lot of background to mosaic. The background is not the focus, so I don’t want to use excess tesserae. In addition, I would have been “wiped out” in 2 colors. So, the design was scaled down. Because the dragon is smaller, I will be able to switch to more expensive tesserae. This dragon calls for it!
I ended up using a lighter Van Gogh green for the grass and a darker Van Gogh green for the swirls. There are also pockets of glue left over from the swirls. Quickly, I need to choose the right tesserae for the background and get busy. Glue is liquid treasure; and one of the ways to save money is not to be wasteful. The tree needs to be the receiver of visual attention, so the background will not be Van Gogh. I do not want competing elements in this design.
I am very fortunate to be in a position to observe great teaching, by wonderfully creative and caring educators! Mrs. K. is one of those individuals.
Luckily, a new shipment of tesserae has just arrived. Her letter will be outlined in muted orange and cream iridio. The plan is to fill-in the K with various shades of blue opus romano. As you can see, a few pieces of blue have already been placed. That is a money-saving strategy. When a glue outline is poured, it is very important to be generous. The adhesive is away from the edge to prevent glue seeping over. However, it also means that glue will be pushed back into the interior of the base. In an effort not to be wasteful, the blue tesserae is placed on top of the excess glue.