The dragon has been completed in gold Van Gogh glass, one of my favorites, for the 3D effect. As stated in previous posts, Van Gogh is expensive but worth it! Although I have started the background in a red stained glass, I do want to incorporate a rich blue.
Because the client requested pink and purple tesserae in this name mosaic, I chose brown for the ceramic letters. My initial instinct was a single border, of metallic vitreous, in pink/purple hues. However, I think I will play with more border options. Absolutely, I want pink surrounding her name. Presently, I have my eye on some hues of purple stained glass and there are some lovely pink glitter glass tiles. We’ll see… Color, color, color!
I ended up using a lighter Van Gogh green for the grass and a darker Van Gogh green for the swirls. There are also pockets of glue left over from the swirls. Quickly, I need to choose the right tesserae for the background and get busy. Glue is liquid treasure; and one of the ways to save money is not to be wasteful. The tree needs to be the receiver of visual attention, so the background will not be Van Gogh. I do not want competing elements in this design.
She has chosen red, aqua, turquoise and pink, as some of her favorite colors. We will begin with her new name in opus romano and the border in metallic vitreous. The letters, in red opus romano, will be halved and quartered. The metallic vitreous will not be cut. Well, that’s the plan… I am thinking of a light pink around her name, so that the letters will “pop”. That being said, the opus romano is a bold shade on its own. Happy, happy, happy!
The second of the 3 dinosaur mosaics has just been completed. In 24 hours, it will be grouted. This is the “joint” mosaic. The background ended up being various shades of light blue stained glass with some darker striations. When a client has white featured in their fabric, etc…, I will sometimes substitute a very pale color to take its place. As stated in a previous post, I’m not a fan of white, but it does help feature the other colors. That being said, sometimes the white is too stark a contrast and a color is needed to “marry” the mosaic.
Late last night, I had high hopes of designing #3. When working on multiple projects for a client, is is much better to work on them together. We, however, had a glitch – one of my precious babies, I’m guessing Bandit, used base #3 as a teething apparatus. At least, this time, he chose a base with no tesserae. Another reason for me to be more diligent in organizing the studio space…